23 November 2010

addressing concerns

Given the political tensions in my community, several friends here and at home have suggested that I request a site change. Honestly, I really don´t consider that an option. Certainly some volunteers have moved and found success at their new site, but others are shocked to discover that their new community also has problems, as though PC is hiding the good sites from us or something. No, I would only move if they made me, and that would only be for security or health reasons. Given everything I´ve been through in the last year, I can´t imagine starting over again, figuring out a new community and its problems, and actually having time left in my service to do anything. Plus I´m 100% sure I would not find another counterpart as awesome as Roxana in any other community anywhere else in the world. Besides, the people in my community are still really good to me; they just have a lot of issues amongst themselves. That´s really why I joined PC in the first place. Yes, I´d love to be able to do big projects, but if that´s all I wanted to do, I could have found a job with a different organization instead of waiting forever on PC. I wanted to live in a community and form relationships, understand the culture better. Yes I´ve had to lower my expectations as far as work goes, but that´s okay.
I´m sure most of you have heard by now that I´ll be home again this Friday. I look forward to seeing any of you can make the trip to Atlanta. Thank you for supporting my family and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment