24 March 2011

Time´s flying!

In February I celebrated a year in country. Now, this Sunday marks one year ago that I got to site! Some days seem longer than others, but then I look up and so much time has gone by, and lately I´ve been really busy.
A couple weeks ago I went back to San Vicente because my older host sister got married. I put a bunch of photos on facebook, so check them out! It was my first wedding here and a lot of fun. I was thinking, though, that I´ve never been to a Catholic wedding in the states. I wonder what the similarities are. I know the Catholic Church here, and in Latin America in general, is pretty different in some aspects from the church in the states.
Earlier this week I went to my nearest neighboring volunteer´s site to help him put on a skit. It´s this PC El Salvador theater project called ¨Gringuisimo.¨ He posted a clip of the video on youtube, and there´s a link on facebook. It´s in Spanish, though.
Then this weekend I´m taking my English teacher to a workshop on teaching methodology that the PC TEFL guy is hosting in Perquin, this town north of me (almost to Honduras) that is famous for being a center of activity during the war. The hotel where we´re staying also happens to be where I watched Obama get elected in 2008!
Speaking of which, he came to ES this week! No, I didn´t get invited to meet him. If only.
Finally, next week is my mid-service medical exam. Not so fun, but a few friends are doing it with me. I´m going to call it my birthday celebration because I won´t have a chance to do anything on my actual 24th.
I almost forgot projects. The recycling project is finally moving along. The Life Planning/Sex ed project with the older students is going so-so. English too. The website translation is still incomplete, and in fact they´ve added to the site even since I started. It´s huge! The NGO has also offered me more work since then, and I´m debating accepting the offer. It certainly was not what I wanted when I joined PC; I wanted to live, work, and learn in a community. With my community being the way it is, though, it´s nice that I´ve been offered projects outside, and it feels good to know they think highly of me and the work I´ve done for them so far. Not that my community doesn´t appreciate me. They love me, and I love them! Community integration has never been my issue here. It´s the work/projects. It´s hard to explain.
Thanks to everyone at home for the care packages! Getting mail is the best!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You ARE busy! I think it is great that you have embraced the opportunities for projects and teaching. I can't wait to see the pictures (I will get on Facebook and see if I can see them). Is it hard to get folks to recycle? Happy late birthday, and I hope it was GREAT, even if you did have to have a physical :-/! Much love! Robin

    ReplyDelete