12 April 2010

First post from site!

Hey everyone,
Thanks again for taking the time to read my blog!
I started my health census in the community today. Before I start any projects I need to know what´s really going on in San Juan! The school principal also asked if I could give the teachers English lessons once a week, so I´m going to be doing a little of that too.
I had a request to write about the other volunteers. At first it seemed weird to me that I´m here in ES and you would want to know about the gringos, but I guess we seem strange or crazy to you back home. Basically we´re your run of the mill North Americans. Most of us are in our 20s, but there are a few random volunteers who hit a mid-life crisis or retire and decide to sign up. We´re not especially hippy or religious. We´re from all over the states, by the mid-west and western coast are most represented.
I was also asked about weird food. The weirdest I´ve had so far is chicken guts, rabbit, and dove (which I helped de-feather). There´s a guy in my community, though, who´s infamous for having given the last volunteer iguana, snake, and armadillo.
Right now I´m living with a new host family. I have a host mom, two sisters (26 and 18), and their children (2 years and 1.5 months). Every day is an adventure with them!
I also have a new address. You can reach me at
Rebecca Jean Maner
San Juan Abajo
Lista de Correos
San Miguel, El Salvador
Centroamerica
7676 9950

I love and miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are finally staring to be productive, but I know there is alot of preparation needed to get you to that point. I know you must be glad too.

    I am amazed that you are so adventurous with the food---you, who orders Gen. Tso's chicken from every Chinese restaurant and chicken enchiladas from every Mexican restaurant that we've ever been in!

    I'm happy to know that you did receive the packages arrived. It is hard to feel confident when the address is so vague.

    Looking forward to the further adventures of Becca in El Salvadore! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete